Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Student Union
As I sit in the down stairs lobby of the new student union, it appears to be very alive with detail and color. Inside, there are large potted plants in abundance. Some of the plants inside appear to be something you would see at the beach and others look like something you would see in the desert. The area where I am is carpeted. The carpet is full of detail. It is full of lines and circular patterns. It is full of colors. In particular, the orange and blue seem to stand out to me. Right next to my location, the floor is tile. There are large squares of white tiles, divided by thick bold edges of black tiles. There is a brick wall directly in front of me that looks like the work or skilled masons. The bottom half is sandstone colored brick, then above that is a red brick that is slightly smaller in size. The ceiling is made from perfectly square tiles. They appear to be approximately a foot and a half in size. When looking at them closer, I notice there are black dots randomly placed all over them. Overhead there are uniquely crafted lights that look like white lanterns that put off a rather pleasant glow. Also in the ceiling, are small circular lights. They appear to be dim until looking directly into them. A maid walks in and starts cleaning the lobby. She throws away a newspaper that was on a nearby couch. Then she starts dusting the tables and such. She walks over my way and greets me with a pleasant hello. I respond back to her accordingly. A large group of students walk by almost as in a uniform group walking one behind the other. The student union is full of noises. Right over my head is a television with the volume turned down low. It sounds a news station is on. There is a constant humming noise that if not listening carefully, could go without notice. It sounds like the air conditioning running. There is constantly someone talking. In the distance, I can here various conversations going on.
As I look out the large, recessed window to my right, the first thing I notice is the landscaping. It appears to be well planned out. The trees are evenly spaced, and of equivalent size. The smaller plants in between the trees seem to be perfectly spaced as well. There is a very wide walkway made of bricks. They are mainly of deep red colors, but some have more of a black look to them. The bricks are in perfect rows. Across the walk way is the Hayley center. Its unique layout is consistent through the whole realm that I can see it. There is a steady pace of people walking by both inside and out. It appears that almost everyone is talking on their phones. In the sky, clouds are increasingly become thicker and darker taking over the once beautiful blue sky.
Inside the Student Center, the temperature is comfortable. It is not too hot, but rather just a little too cold. The couch that I am sitting on has a very soft texture on the outside but it is very firm. All of the chairs and couches here have very interesting designs on them. The backs of them are all solid colors, but the remainder of the seat is a pattern full of circles, squares, triangles and various other shapes that catch my attention. The air smells of new things. I cannot detect the smell of molds or older objects. It all smells fresh and clean like a newly constructed building.

No comments: