Sunday, September 21, 2008

Memory Garden: Kenny S.

Kenny StreitMrs. HolzmeisterEnglish17 September 2008Memory GardenMemory Garden is a very pretty place near the Hill where people who have served Auburn in the past are commemorated. It is a very peaceful garden and is a way to just sit down and relax. There are man beautiful plants all around. It makes me feel like I am not even in a major college town. It is like an escape from the homework and other arduous tasks that may overwhelm people in college. While I sit there, it seems like everyone has a place to be and no one sits down just to relax. The garden is a great way to escape a hectic town such as that of Auburn. As I first sat down, I noticed the bright green grass and the light shining through the trees onto the grass. As a person walks by, the stench of the cigarette fills the air around me. It is a good temperature, not too hot and not too cold with a slight breeze. There is a steady hum of the crickets sitting by the algae filled pond. There is a pleasant mixture of grass and flowers. As a group of girls pass by, their perfume pleases the nostrils. Small hints of blue sky peek through the puffy clouds. The pond is still until a small fish breaks the surface and splashes back down into the water. The trees sway in tune with the soft breeze. Leaves are scattered consistently along the grass. A curious turtle pops its head up to catch some air and dives back down into the depths. As I was watching the turtle, a hungry mosquito buzzed by my ear and I swatted him away. As I did this, an alarm from the Hill went off. Now car
horns begin to honk at the intersection of Mell and Samford. Loud motorcycles roll by in a pack. Dandelions fill the perimeter of Memory Garden. The pond is peaceful; it has Lilly plants protruding from the surface. The scent of gas fumes passes by. Sprinklers line the perimeter to keep the plants green. The whole scene is filled with life. There is a small gravel path that leads to a bridge to help cross over a creek. The creek also has an assortment of plants throughout. Students come from all around to other benches around the garden to study various topics. The garden is pretty flat, except for the slight incline leading out of the garden. A small propeller airplane flies passed over the scene. As I looked up into one of the small evergreen trees, I noticed a small bird feeding its young. When I saw that, I heard other chirps of birds going from high to low, letting other birds know that this is its territory. Bees buzz around the fresh flowers getting food. A couple of trucks roar by the garden. A small worm slithers on past my feet. Just as I was about to leave, I heard some college guys in a truck singing a long to “Sweet Home Alabama.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in Kansas we dont have people riding around singing "Sweet Home Kansas", but we do sing "Sweet Home Alabama".